Saturday, June 28, 2014

Review: History of the Rain: A Novel


History of the Rain: A Novel
History of the Rain: A Novel by Niall Williams

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



This is a thing of beauty.  It is mythic and Irish (which may be redundant, or synonymous with magical realism, I'm not sure which).  It is literate and literary.  By the end it made me laugh out loud more than once and brought tears to my eyes.  It is the story of a girl and her family, especially her father, and her search to uncover their history through their books.

It also introduced me to what may be one of the funniest remarks ever made about a book in an online review: "It reminds me slightly of Ulysses except I am enjoying it."  This would be a better cover blurb than most of the over the top mail it in tripe we generally find.  My thanks to Deborah Meyler on Goodreads for that comment.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment